Welcome to Steeple
Steeple is a JISC funded UK Higher Education community project, led by Oxford University, the Open University, and Cambridge University. We are hoping that many other UK Higher Education Institutions will join in with the project.
The vision for the Steeple project is to investigate, develop and document sustainable institutional infrastructure to support university wide educational podcasting. Steeple also hopes to instigate a viable community around scalable, enterprise-level solutions suitable for the UK-HE sector in the areas of automated video/audio capture, video/audio processing, and video/audio delivery ("podcasting").
The vast majority of our work and outputs can be found in our community wiki, where knowledge and experience is constantly being updated.
The projects main concerns are:
- Reducing costs for media processing and media management
- Making it easier to deliver media into channels important to the institution, such as iTunesU and the web portal
- Supporting and documenting adoption of best practice for sustainability of the architecture and to ensure longevity of institutional investments
Steeple will look at:
- Scoping, requirements, use cases
- Policies, processes, workflows
- Requirements for public access to video/audio
- Private access to video/audio via LMS or VLE
- Encoding engines
- Service management
- Training and support
- Evaluation and dissemination
The Steeple development work falls primarily into four areas
- Integration of the encoding engines and creation of encoding workflows
- Further development work to an online database to monitor and track processes
- Creation of a demonstrator web based delivery system for institutional podcasts
- Documenting of activities